Allah Most High has specified this worship five times daily as a form of gratitude for His endless bounties. These bounties commence from birth right until death – in fact, they continue after death and commence even before birth.
Since Friday has been accorded the most amount of merits as opposed to other days, so much so that the father of all mankind Hadrat Adam (peace be upon him) was created on this day, a special prayer was therefore ordered for this day. We have already mentioned the benefits and wisdom of the congregation.
The Virtues of Friday
1. The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) said: “Friday is the best of days. It was on this day that Hadrat Adam (peace be upon him) was created, it was on this day that he was granted entry into Paradise, it was on this day that he was removed from Paradise, and the day of resurrection will also take place on this day.” (Sahih Muslim)
2. It is related from Imam Ahmad (Allah have mercy on him) that he said that in certain aspects the rank of the night of Friday is even higher than Laylatul Qadr. One of the reasons for this is that it was on this night that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) appeared in the womb of his mother. The Messenger of Allah’s (Allah bless him and give him peace) appearance in this world was a cause of so much good and blessings both in this world and in the hereafter that they cannot be enumerated. (Ash’atul Lama’aat)
3. The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) said: “There is such an hour on Friday that if any Muslim makes dua in it, his dua will definitely be accepted.” (Bukhari, Muslim)
4. The ulama have differed in specifying that hour which has been mentioned in the Hadith. Shaykh Abdul Haq Muhaddith Dehlawi (Allah have mercy on him) has mentioned 40 different opinions in his book Sharh Sifrus Sa’adah. However, from among all these opinions he has given preference to two opinions:
- That time is from the commencement of the khutbah till the end of the prayer,
- That time is towards the end of the day.
- A big group of ulama have given preference to this second opinion and there are many Hadiths which support this opinion. Shaykh Dehlawi (Allah have mercy on him) says that this narration is correct that Hadrat Fatimah (Allah be pleased with her) used to order her maid on Fridays to inform her when the day is about to end so that she could occupy herself in making zikr and duas. (Ash’atul Lama’aat)
- The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) said: “Of all the days, Friday is the most virtuous. It is on this day that the trumpet will be blown. Send abundant blessings upon me on Fridays because they are presented to me on that day.” The Companions (Allah be pleased with them) asked: “O the Messenger of Allah! How will they be presented to you when even your bones will not be present after your death?” The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) replied: “Allah Most High has made the earth forbidden upon the prophets forever.” (Abu Dawud)
5. The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) said: “The word witnesses refers to Friday. There is no day more virtuous than Friday. There is such an hour in this day that no Muslim will make dua in it except that his dua will be accepted. And he does not seek protection from anything except that Allah Most High will grant him protection.” (Tirmidhi) The word “shahid” appears in Surah Burooj. Allah Most High has taken an oath of that day. He says in the Quran:
“By the sky in which there are constellations. By the promised day (of judgement). By the day that witnesses [Friday], and the day that is witnessed [day of Arafah].”